Citations Affected: IC 21-9; noncode.
Synopsis: Save Indiana program. Repeals the save Indiana program of
the Indiana education savings authority and makes conforming
changes. Extends from July 1, 2000, to July 1, 2001, the expiration date
of a noncode provision that requires the treasurer of state, the board for
depositories, the commission for higher education, and the state student
assistance commission to provide certain administrative and financial
support to the Indiana education savings authority.
Effective: June 30, 2000; July 1, 2000.
January 10, 2000, read first time and referred to Committee on Environmental Affairs.
January 13, 2000, reassigned to Committee on Education.
January 27, 2000, reported favorably _ Do Pass.
January 31, 2000, read second time, ordered engrossed.
February 1, 2000, engrossed.
February 7, 2000, read third time, passed. Yeas 50, nays 0.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS
[EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2000]: Sec. 1. The following are the purposes
of this article:
(1) To encourage elementary and secondary students in Indiana to achieve high standards of performance and establish lifelong habits of fiscal responsibility through savings.
(2) To encourage education and the means of education.
(3) To encourage attendance at higher education institutions.
(4) To provide families additional means of striving for higher education through the
save Indiana program and the Indiana
family college savings programs that may be established under
(5) To help provide the benefits of higher education to the people of Indiana.
(6) To promote the economic development of the state by creating opportunities for a more highly educated workforce.
(7) To increase employment opportunities in Indiana.
AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JUNE 30, 2000]: SECTION 3. (a) The
treasurer of state, the board for depositories, the Indiana commission
for higher education, and the state student assistance commission shall
cooperate and provide to the Indiana education savings authority the
(1) Clerical and professional staff and related support.
(2) Office space and services.
(3) Reasonable financial support for the development of rules, policies, programs, and guidelines, including authority operations and travel.
(b) This SECTION expires July 1,