Citations Affected: IC 8-15; noncode.
Synopsis: Use of brakes on the toll road. Requires the department of
transportation to adopt rules to control the use of compression release
engine brakes when a motor vehicle is using the Indiana toll road in
Porter County. The rules must include the limitation of the use of the
compression release engine brakes instead of the service brake system,
except in the case of failure of the service brake system.
Effective: Upon passage; July 1, 2000.
January 10, 2000, read first time and referred to Committee on Roads and Transportation.
January 19, 2000, amended, reported _ Do Pass.
January 24, 2000, read second time, amended, ordered engrossed.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
entry to the tollway.
(B) The department shall assess a fee for issuing a special hauling permit. In assessing the fee, the department shall take into consideration the following factors:
(i) The administrative cost of issuing the permit.
(ii) The potential damage the vehicle represents to the project.
(iii) The potential safety hazard the vehicle represents.
(2) Establishing the speed at which a vehicle may be driven on a tollway, including a minimum speed and a maximum speed not in excess of the maximum provided in IC 9 for the interstate defense network of dual highways.
(3) Designating one-way traffic lanes on a tollway.
(4) Determining the manner of operation of vehicles entering and leaving traffic lanes on a tollway.
(5) Determining the regulation of U-turns, of crossing or entering medians, of stopping, parking, or standing, and of passing vehicles on a tollway.
(6) Determining the establishment and enforcement of traffic control signs and signals for vehicles in traffic lanes, acceleration and deceleration lanes, toll plazas, and interchanges on a tollway.
(7) Determining the limitation of entry to and exit from a tollway to designated entrances and exits.
(8) Determining the limitation on use of a tollway by pedestrians and aircraft and by vehicles of a type specified in the rules.
(9) Regulating commercial activity on tollways, including the following:
(A) The offering or display of goods or services for sale.
(B) The posting, distributing, or displaying of signs, advertisements, or other printed or written material.
(C) The operation of a mobile or stationary public address system.
(c) Notwithstanding IC 9, the department shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to control the use of compression release engine brakes when a motor vehicle is using the Indiana toll road in a county having a population of more than one hundred twenty-five thousand (125,000) but less than one hundred twenty-nine thousand (129,000). These rules must include the limitation of the use of the compression release engine brakes instead of the service brake system, except in the case of failure of the service brake system.
Notwithstanding IC 8-15-3-27, as amended by this act, the
department of transportation shall carry out the duties imposed
upon it by IC 8-15-3-27, as amended by this act, under interim
written guidelines approved by the commissioner.
(b) This SECTION expires on the earlier of the following:
(1) The date rules are adopted under IC 8-15-3-27, as amended by this act.
(2) December 31, 2000.