Citations Affected: IC 8-21-13.
Synopsis: Grants for contract air traffic control towers. Creates the
contract for services fund to provide grants for nonfederal contract air
traffic control towers. Provides that the fund is administered by the
Indiana department of transportation. Provides that each grant from the
fund must be at least $100,000. Allows for additional funding for each
grant under a formula using a cost benefit ratio from the United States
Department of Transportation. Requires the Indiana department of
transportation to determine the amount needed in the fund each year.
Provides for an annual appropriation to the fund from the state general
fund. Appropriates $500,000 in initial funding from the state general
Effective: July 1, 2001.
January 8, 2001, read first time and referred to Committee on Transportation and Interstate
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
transportation and to make an appropriation.
IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS
A NEW CHAPTER TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY
Chapter 13. Contract Air Traffic Control Tower Funds
Sec. 1. As used in this section, "eligible entity" means:
(1) an airport authority established by IC 8-22-3 ;
(2) a board of aviation commissioners established by IC 8-22-2 ;
(3) an airport established by IC 20-12-50 ;
(4) an airport eligible for an exemption under IC 6-1.1-10-15 ; and
(5) a municipality (as defined in IC 8-21-1-1 (t)).
Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "fund" refers to the contract for services fund established by section 3 of this chapter.
Sec. 3. (a) The contract for services fund is established for the purpose of providing grants to assist an eligible entity in contracting for air traffic control tower services at nonfederal
contract air traffic control towers.
(b) The department shall administer the fund.
(c) The department shall pay the expenses of administering the fund.
(d) The treasurer of state shall invest the money in the fund not currently needed to meet the obligations of the fund in the same manner as other public funds may be invested. Interest that accrues from these investments must be deposited in the fund.
(e) Money in the fund at the end of a state fiscal year does not revert to the state general fund.
Sec. 4. (a) The department shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to establish a program to foster the development of nonfederal contract air traffic control towers in Indiana.
(b) The rules must establish:
(1) the maximum amount of money that one (1) eligible entity may receive in a calendar year;
(2) an application procedure;
(3) the local matching funds that are required;
(4) that a grant awarded under this chapter may only be used for the purpose stated in this chapter; and
(5) other provisions necessary to implement this chapter.
(c) To receive a grant from the fund, an eligible entity must:
(1) complete the application required by the department;
(2) submit to the department information on the amount of the total annual contract to operate a nonfederal contract air traffic control tower;
(3) fulfill any local matching fund requirements established by the department; and
(4) meet any other requirements established by the department.
Sec. 5. (a) The department shall determine the allocation of grant funds among eligible applicants.
(b) A grant award to an eligible entity must be at least one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).
(c) In addition to the amount awarded under subsection (b), an eligible entity may receive an additional amount equal to the result of STEP FOUR of the following formula:
STEP ONE: Determine the amount of the total annual contract to operate a nonfederal contract air traffic control tower.
STEP TWO: Determine the benefit cost ratio as developed by the United States Department of Transportation.