Citations Affected: IC 20-8.1-5.1.
Synopsis: School discipline. Requires a school corporation to provide
in its disciplinary rules for a meeting between the principal of a school
and the person having care of a dependent student: (1) if the student is
physically or verbally abusive to another individual on school grounds;
or (2) in the case of certain other school related circumstances.
Effective: July 1, 2001.
January 11, 2001, read first time and referred to Committee on Education.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
IS AMENDED TO READ AS
FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2001]: Sec. 7. (a) The governing
body of a school corporation must do the following:
(1) Establish written discipline rules, which may include appropriate dress codes, for the school corporation.
(2) Give general publicity to the discipline rules within a school where the discipline rules apply by actions such as:
(A) making a copy of the discipline rules available to students and students' parents; or
(B) delivering a copy of the discipline rules to students or the parents of students.
This publicity requirement may not be construed technically and is satisfied in any case when the school corporation makes a good faith effort to disseminate to students or parents generally the text or substance of a discipline rule.
(b) The superintendent of a school corporation and the principals of each school in a school corporation may adopt regulations establishing
lines of responsibility and related guidelines in compliance with the
discipline policies of the governing body.
(c) The governing body of a school corporation may delegate rule making, disciplinary, and other authority as reasonably necessary to carry out the school purposes of the school corporation.
(d) Subsection (a) does not apply to rules or directions concerning the following:
(1) Movement of students.
(2) Movement or parking of vehicles.
(3) Day-to-day instructions concerning the operation of a classroom or teaching station.
(4) Time for commencement of school.
(5) Other standards or regulations relating to the manner in which an educational function must be administered.
However, this subsection does not prohibit the governing body from regulating the areas listed in this subsection.
(e) The rules adopted under subsection (a) must include a requirement that the principal of a school meet with a person having care of a dependent student under section 19 of this chapter if the student is physically or verbally abusive to another individual while the student is:
(1) on school grounds immediately before or during school hours, immediately after school hours, or at any other time when the school is being used by a school group;
(2) off school grounds at a school activity, function, or event; or
(3) traveling to or from school or a school activity, function, or event.
SECTION 2. IC 20-8.1-5.1-19 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2001]: Sec. 19. The governing body of a school corporation
may shall adopt rules that require a person
having care of a dependent student to participate in an action taken
under this chapter in connection with a student's behavior. The rules
must include the following:
(1) Procedures for giving actual notice to the person having care of the dependent student.
(2) A description of the steps that the person must take to participate in the school corporation's action.
(3) A description of the additional actions in connection with the student's behavior that are justified in part or in full if the person does not participate in the school corporation's action.