Citations Affected: IC 2-5-26; P.L.130-1998, SECTION 1.
Synopsis: Select Joint Commission on Medicaid Oversight.
Establishes the select joint commission on Medicaid oversight.
Provides for the appointment of commission members and establishes
meeting procedures. Provides that the commission operates under the
policies of the legislative council, except that the commission may
meet at any time during the calendar year and is not required to file an
annual report. Repeals a noncode act regarding the select joint
committee on Medicaid oversight.
Effective: Upon passage.
January 17, 2001, read first time and referred to Committee on Human Affairs.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
representatives by the speaker of the house of representatives,
not more than three (3) of whom may be from the same
Sec. 5. A vacancy on the commission shall be filled by the appointing authority.
Sec. 6. The president pro tempore of the senate shall appoint a member of the commission to serve as chairperson of the commission from January 1 through December 31 of odd-numbered years.
Sec. 7. The speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint a member of the commission to serve as chairperson of the commission from January 1 through December 31 of even-numbered years.
Sec. 8. The commission shall do the following:
(1) Determine whether the contractor for the office under IC 12-15-30 that has responsibility for processing provider claims for payment under the Medicaid program has properly performed the terms of the contractor's contract with the state.
(2) Study and propose legislative and administrative procedures that could help reduce the amount of time needed to process Medicaid claims and eliminate reimbursement backlogs, delays, and errors.
(3) Oversee the implementation of a case mix reimbursement system developed by the office and designed for Indiana Medicaid certified nursing facilities.
(4) Study and investigate any other matter related to Medicaid.
(5) Study and investigate all matters related to the implementation of the children's health insurance program established by IC 12-17.6.
Sec. 9. The commission shall meet at the call of the chairperson.
Sec. 10. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the commission shall operate under the policies governing study committees adopted by the legislative council.
(b) The commission:
(1) shall meet upon the call of the chairperson;
(2) may meet at any time during the calendar year; and
(3) is not required to file an annual report with the legislative council.
Sec. 11. The affirmative votes of a majority of the members appointed to the commission are required for the commission to
take action on any measure.
Sec. 12. The legislative services agency shall provide staff support for the commission.
Sec. 13. Each member of the commission appointed under this chapter is entitled to receive the per diem, mileage, and travel allowances paid to members of the general assembly serving on legislative study committees established by the legislative council.
Sec. 14. The contractor for the office under IC 12-15-30 that has responsibility for processing provider claims for payment under the Medicaid program shall:
(1) review actual expenditures of the Medicaid program based on claims that are processed by the contractor; and
(2) provide oral and written reports on the expenditures to the commission:
(A) in a manner and format proposed by the commission; and
(B) whenever requested by the commission.
Sec. 15. This chapter expires December 31, 2011.