Citations Affected: IC 8-5-15 .
Synopsis: Commuter transportation district board. Defines
"commuter" for purposes of the law governing commuter transportation
districts. Adds one commuter member and one employee member to
the board of trustees of a commuter transportation district. Provides for
the method of initial appointment and future appointments for the
commuter member and the employee member.
Effective: July 1, 2001.
January 17, 2001, read first time and referred to Committee on Local Government.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any
lands to which such buildings or structures may be moved;
(4) the cost of relocating public roads and land, or of easements;
(5) the cost of all machinery and equipment, financing charges, interest before and during construction and for not exceeding two (2) years after the estimated date of completion of construction;
(6) the cost of engineering and legal expenses, plans, specifications, surveys, estimates of cost, traffic, and revenues, other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of constructing or acquiring any such project;
(7) administrative expense; and
(8) such other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the construction or acquisition, of the project, the financing of the construction or acquisition, and the placing of the project in operation.
"District" means a commuter transportation district established under this chapter.
"Project" or "railroad project" includes any facilities, adjuncts, and appurtenances necessary to operate a railroad, such as lines, routes, roads, rights-of-way, easements, licenses, permits, tangible personal property, and real property. It also includes all or a majority of the outstanding capital stock of a corporation that operates a railroad.
"Revenues" means all fees, tolls, rentals, gifts, grants, money, and all other funds coming into the possession or under the control of the board by virtue of this chapter, but does not include real property or personal property other than money, nor the proceeds from the sale of bonds issued under this chapter.
selected from commuters who have submitted a letter of
interest to the governor. To be considered for this position, a
commuter must submit a letter of interest to the governor
during a two (2) week period that begins sixty (60) days before
the expiration of the term of the member appointed under this
subdivision. A member of the board serving under this
subdivision is not required to submit a letter of interest to be
eligible for appointment to a successive term.
(5) One (1) member who is an employee of the district, appointed by the governor from a list of ten (10) names submitted jointly by the labor unions representing the employees of the district.
(b) A member shall serve for a term of two (2) years from the beginning of the term for which the member was appointed and until a successor has qualified for the office. Each member shall serve at the pleasure of the appointing authority but is eligible for reappointment for successive terms.
(d) The members of the board shall elect for a one (1) year term:
(1) one (1) member as chairman;
(2) one (1) member to serve as vice chairman;
(3) one (1) member to serve as secretary; and
(4) one (1) member to serve as treasurer.
(d) Ninety (90) days before the expiration of the term of the board member appointed under subsection (a)(4), the district shall post in each commuter station in the district a notice of the opening on the board of trustees. The notice must announce the opening for a commuter member on the board of trustees and provide information on submitting a letter of interest. The notice must state the period in which the commuter must submit a letter of interest. The notice must remain posted until the expiration of the two (2) week period described in subsection (a)(4).
submitted a letter of interest.
(b) Notwithstanding IC 8-5-15-3 , as amended by this act, not later than November 1, 2001, the governor shall appoint an employee representative to the commuter transportation district board.
(c) This SECTION expires January 1, 2003.