Citations Affected: IC 20-10.1-4-5 .
Synopsis: Labor movement education. Provides that the mandatory
school corporation curriculum for social studies and citizenship in
grades 8 through 12 must include the history and role of labor
organizations in the free enterprise economic system.
Effective: July 1, 2002.
January 7, 2002, read first time and referred to Committee on Education.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
IS AMENDED TO READ AS
FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2002]: Sec. 5. Each school
corporation shall include in its curriculum the following studies:
(1) Language arts, including English, grammar, composition, speech, and second languages.
(3) Social studies and citizenship, including the following:
(A) Constitutions, governmental systems, and histories of Indiana and the United States.
(B) In grades 8 through 12, the history and role of labor organizations in the free enterprise economic system.
(5) Fine arts, including music and art.
(6) Health education, physical fitness, safety, and the effects of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, and other substances on the human body.
(7) Additional studies selected by each governing body, subject to revision by the state board of education.