Citations Affected: IC 20-8.1-5.1-23.
Synopsis: Student discipline. Provides that a student who is expelled
from a charter school is subject to the same requirements for
enrollment in another school corporation as a student who is: (1)
expelled from a public school; or (2) required to separate from a
nonpublic school or a school in a state other than Indiana.
Effective: July 1, 2003.
January 7, 2003, read first time and referred to Committee on Education and Career
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
IS AMENDED TO READ AS
FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2003]: Sec. 23. (a) This section
applies to the following:
(1) A student who:
(A) is expelled from a school corporation or charter school under this chapter; or
(B) withdraws from a school corporation or charter school to avoid expulsion.
(2) A student who:
(A) is required to separate for disciplinary reasons from a nonpublic school or a school in a state other than Indiana by the administrative authority of the school; or
(B) withdraws from a nonpublic school or a school in a state other than Indiana in order to avoid being required to separate from the school for disciplinary reasons by the administrative authority of the school.
(b) The student may enroll in another school corporation during the
period of the actual or proposed expulsion or separation if:
(1) the student's parent informs the school corporation in which the student seeks to enroll of the student's expulsion or separation or withdrawal to avoid expulsion or separation;
(2) the school corporation consents to the student's enrollment; and
(3) the student agrees to the terms and conditions of enrollment established by the school corporation.
(1) a student's parent fails to inform the school corporation of the expulsion or separation or withdrawal to avoid expulsion or separation; or
(2) the student fails to follow the terms and conditions of enrollment under subsection (b)(3);
the school corporation may withdraw consent and prohibit the student's enrollment during the period of the actual or proposed expulsion or separation.
(d) Before a consent is withdrawn under subsection (c) the student must have an opportunity for an informal meeting before the principal of the student's proposed school. At the informal meeting, the student is entitled to:
(1) a written or an oral statement of the reasons for the withdrawal of the consent;
(2) a summary of the evidence against the student; and
(3) an opportunity to explain the student's conduct.
(e) This section does not apply to a student who is expelled under section 11 of this chapter.