Citations Affected: None (noncode).
Synopsis: Reentry court program. Permits certain drug offenders
participating in the Allen County reentry court program to receive food
stamps or temporary assistance for needy families (TANF).
Effective: July 1, 2003.
January 21, 2003, read first time and referred to Committee on Human Affairs.
A BILL FOR AN ACT concerning courts and court officers.
(2) The program is designed to supervise and provide services to an individual who was previously incarcerated by the department of correction in order to increase the likelihood that the individual will:
(A) become self-sufficient; and
(B) not commit additional crimes.
(c) As used in this SECTION, "TANF " refers to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.
(d) As used in this SECTION, "TANF eligible individual" refers to an individual who meets all the following requirements:
(1) The individual is a resident of a county having a population of more than three hundred thousand (300,000) but less than four hundred thousand (400,000).
(2) The individual was convicted of an offense under IC 35-48 (controlled substances) for conduct occurring after August 22, 1996.
(3) Except for 21 U.S.C. 862a(a), the individual meets the federal and Indiana TANF program requirements.
(4) The individual is successfully participating in a reentry court program.
(e) Until June 30, 2005, and in accordance with 21 U.S.C. 862a(d)(1) and this SECTION, the state elects to opt out of the application of 21 U.S.C. 862a(a) for individuals participating in the reentry court program.
(f) If ordered by a court, a food stamp eligible individual may receive food stamps for twelve (12) months. A court may extend the period for an additional twelve (12) months.
(g) If ordered by a court, a TANF eligible individual may receive TANF benefits for up to twenty-four (24) months.
(h) Nothwithstanding subsections (f) and (g), a food stamp eligible individual and a TANF eligible individual may not receive food stamp or TANF benefits after June 30, 2005.
(i) A court may modify or revoke an order issued under this SECTION concerning a food stamp eligible individual or a TANF eligible individual at any time.
(j) This SECTION expires July 1, 2005.