Citations Affected: IC 20-8.1-5.1-23.
Synopsis: School discipline. Provides that a student who withdraws
from a school corporation to avoid expulsion or legal action for truancy
and who wishes to enroll in a home school program may not enroll
unless the parent or legal guardian of the student shows in written form
to the school corporation that proposed the expulsion of the student
that: (1) the student will receive a comparable educational experience;
and (2) that the comparable educational experience can be documented
satisfactorily if the terms and conditions are requested by school or
Effective: July 1, 2003.
January 21, 2003, read first time and referred to Committee on Education.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
from the school for disciplinary reasons by the administrative
authority of the school.
(b) The student may enroll in another school corporation during the period of the actual or proposed expulsion or separation if:
(1) the student's parent informs the school corporation in which the student seeks to enroll of the student's expulsion or separation or withdrawal to avoid expulsion or separation;
(2) the school corporation consents to the student's enrollment; and
(3) the student agrees to the terms and conditions of enrollment established by the school corporation.
(c) The student may enroll in a home school program during the period of the actual or proposed expulsion or separation if the student's parent shows in written form to the school corporation:
(1) that proposed the expulsion that the student will receive a comparable educational experience in a home school program; and
(2) that the parent can document that the educational experience in a home school program is comparable if the terms and conditions of the home school program are requested by the school or under legal action.
(1) a student's parent fails to inform the school corporation of the expulsion or separation or withdrawal to avoid expulsion or separation;
(2) a student's parent fails to follow the terms and conditions of enrollment under subsection (c)(1) and (c)(2); or
(3) the student fails to follow the terms and conditions of enrollment under subsection (b)(3);
the school corporation may withdraw consent and prohibit the student's enrollment during the period of the actual or proposed expulsion or separation.
(d) (e) Before a consent is withdrawn under subsection (c) (d) the
student must have an opportunity for an informal a formal meeting
before the principal of the student's proposed school. At the informal
formal meeting, the student is entitled to:
(1) a written
or an oral statement of the reasons for the withdrawal
of the consent;
(2) a summary of the evidence against the student; and
(3) an opportunity to explain the student's conduct.
(e) (f) This section does not apply to a student who is expelled under
section 11 of this chapter.