Citations Affected: Noncode.
Synopsis: Study of certificate of need and moratorium. Requires the
health finance commission during the 2004 interim to study issues
concerning requiring a certificate of need or establishing a moratorium
on health care facilities in Indiana.
Effective: Upon passage.
January 12, 2004, read first time and referred to Committee on Health and Provider
January 29, 2004, amended, reported favorably _ Do Pass.
February 2, 2004, read second time, amended, ordered engrossed.
February 3, 2004, engrossed.
February 4, 2004, read third time, passed. Yeas 44, nays 0.
A BILL FOR AN ACT concerning health.
SECTION 1. [EFFECTIVE UPON PASSAGE] (a) As used in this
SECTION, "commission" refers to the health finance commission
established by IC 2-5-23-3.
(b) During the 2004 legislative interim, the commission shall study the issues concerning requiring a certificate of need for health care facilities or establishing a moratorium on the building of new health care facilities. In reviewing these issues, the commission shall determine the following:
(1) The amount of cost savings that would result for the state by limiting the expansion of buildings for health care facilities.
(2) The costs incurred by the state and the health care industry in the construction of new health care facilities.
(3) Whether health care costs for the state would be reduced if the state required a certificate of need or implemented a moratorium on the building of new health care facilities.
(4) The factors that have resulted in an increase in health insurance premiums in Indiana.
(5) The percentage of health care costs that are the result of the following:
(C) Construction costs for new or expanding health care facilities.
(c) This SECTION expires January 1, 2005.
SECTION 2. An emergency is declared for this act.