SB 104-1_ Filed 02/19/2004, 14:18
Your Committee on Education , to which was referred Senate Bill 104 , has had
the same under consideration and begs leave to report the same back to the House with the
recommendation that said bill be amended as follows:
SOURCE: Page 1, line 1; (04)CR010402.1. -->
Page 1, delete lines 1 through 17.
Page 2, delete lines 1 through 16, begin a new paragraph and insert:
SOURCE: IC 20-1-1.1-5; (04)CR010402.1. -->
"SECTION 1. IC 20-1-1.1-5, AS AMENDED BY P.L.48-1999,
SECTION 1, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE
JULY 1, 2004]: Sec. 5. (a)
The department shall:
(1) perform the duties required by statute;
(2) implement the policies and procedures established by the
(3) conduct analytical research to assist the state board of
education in determining the state's educational policy;
(4) compile statistics concerning the ethnicity and gender of
students in Indiana schools, including statistics for all information
that the department receives from school corporations on
enrollment, number of suspensions, and number of expulsions;
(5) provide technical assistance to school corporations.
(b) The department, in compiling statistics under subsection
(a)(4), must categorize suspensions and expulsions by cause as
(1) Physical aggression.
(2) Verbal aggression or profanity.
(3) Disruptive behavior.
(6) Destruction of property.
(7) Alcohol, drugs, and tobacco.
(c) The department shall develop guidelines necessary to
implement this section.
(Reference is to SB 104 as reprinted February 3, 2004.)
and when so amended that said bill do pass.
CR010402/DI 109 2004