Citations Affected: None (noncode).
Synopsis: Informational pupil counts. Provides for an annual
informational count of eligible pupils in January of 2005, 2006, and
Effective: July 1, 2004.
November 21, 2003, read first time and referred to Committee on Education and Career
A BILL FOR AN ACT concerning education.
SECTION 1. [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2004] (a) The definitions in
IC 21-3-1.6-1.1 apply throughout this SECTION.
(b) As used in this SECTION, "department" refers to the department of education.
(c) As used in this SECTION, "informational count" means a count of the number of eligible pupils enrolled in a school corporation or a transferee corporation on a day to be fixed annually under this SECTION by the Indiana state board of education.
(d) A school corporation shall conduct an informational count of eligible pupils on the date in January set by the Indiana state board of education.
(e) Subject to subsection (f), in determining the informational count, eligible pupils shall be counted in the same manner and with the same standards as eligible pupils are counted to determine current ADM.
(f) The informational count shall focus on the following information:
(1) A comparison between the number of eligible pupils on the informational count date and the number of eligible pupils in the current ADM.
(2) Using a coding system developed by the department, the number (to the extent known to the school) of eligible pupils dropping out or otherwise withdrawing from the school corporation or transferee corporation after the date of the current ADM count, grouped by the reason or reasons for withdrawal from school.
(3) Using a coding system developed by the department:
(A) the number of suspensions and expulsions occurring after the current ADM count date, grouped by the reason or reasons for each suspension and expulsion; and
(B) the number and types of alternative educational placements that were provided or offered to suspended and expelled eligible pupils in each group.
(4) The number of tuition transfer students accepted by a transferee corporation after the date of the current ADM count.
(g) The department shall disseminate the information obtained in the informational count to:
(1) the governor;
(2) members of the education roundtable; and
(3) the executive director of the legislative services agency;
not later than thirty (30) days after the department receives the informational count reports for the year from all school corporations and transferee corporations.
(h) This SECTION applies to school years beginning after June 30, 2004.
(i) This SECTION expires December 31, 2007.