Citations Affected: IC 13-18-17-5.
Synopsis: Sewage disposal rules. Removes the state department of
health from the list of agencies that must adopt groundwater quality
rules. Prohibits the department from imposing groundwater quality
standards in onsite sewage disposal rules.
Effective: Upon passage.
December 2, 2003, read first time and referred to Committee on Environmental Affairs.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
SECTION 1. IC 13-18-17-5, AS AMENDED BY P.L.168-1999,
SECTION 1, IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE
UPON PASSAGE]: Sec. 5. (a) The water pollution control board shall
adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 establishing groundwater quality standards
that include numeric and narrative criteria, a groundwater classification
plan, and a method of determining where the groundwater quality
standards must apply. The standards established under this subsection
shall be used for the following purposes:
(1) To establish minimum compliance levels for groundwater quality monitoring at regulated facilities.
(2) To ban the discharge of effluents into potable groundwater.
(3) To establish health protection goals for untreated water in water supply wells.
(4) To establish concentration limits for contaminants in ambient groundwater.
(b) The following agencies shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to apply the groundwater quality standards established under this section
to activities regulated by the agencies:
(1) The department.
(2) The department of natural resources.
(3) The state department of health.
(4) (3) The office of the state chemist.
(5) (4) The office of the state fire marshal.
SECTION 2. [EFFECTIVE UPON PASSAGE] 327 IAC 2-11-2(a)(3) is void. The publisher of the Indiana Administrative Code and the Indiana Register shall remove this provision from the Indiana Administrative Code.
SECTION 3. [EFFECTIVE UPON PASSAGE] The state department of health shall not adopt section 55 of its proposed onsite sewage disposal rule, 410 IAC 6-8.2, LSA document 02-321 at 26 IR 3116.
SECTION 4. [EFFECTIVE UPON PASSAGE] If on the date of the enactment of this act, the state department of health has adopted 410 IAC 6-8.2 as its final onsite sewage disposal rule, that section of the rule that applies 327 IAC 2-11-1, et seq. to onsite sewage disposal systems is void.
SECTION 5. An emergency is declared for this act.