Citations Affected: IC 5-11-20.
Synopsis: Office of performance review. Establishes the office of
performance review within the state board of accounts.
Effective: July 1, 2004.
January 8, 2004, read first time and referred to Committee on Governmental Affairs and
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning state
offices and administration.
SECTION 1. IC 5-11-20 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS
A NEW CHAPTER TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY
Chapter 20. Office of Performance Review; Performance Reviews of State Agencies
Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, "office" refers to the office of performance review established by section 3 of this chapter.
Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "state agency" refers to an agency, a bureau, a department, or a similar entity within the executive branch of state government that has a director or other administrative head who:
(1) is appointed by the governor; or
(2) is the lieutenant governor.
Sec. 3. The office of performance review is established within the state board of accounts.
Sec. 4. The primary duty of the office is to conduct a performance review of each state agency to:
(1) streamline operations;
(2) eliminate duplication of effort among state agencies; and
(3) reduce expenses.
Sec. 5. Each state agency shall develop a management and efficiency plan for the state agency's operations in accordance with this chapter.
Sec. 6. A management and efficiency plan developed under section 5 of this chapter must include the following items or an explanation as to why the item does not apply to the state agency:
(1) A statement of the state agency's mission, goals, and objectives.
(2) Measures of the output and outcomes of the state agency.
(3) Identification of priority and other service populations or other service measures.
(4) An analysis of the current state agency resources to meet current needs and expected future needs.
(5) A projection of additional resources that may be needed to meet future needs.
(6) Other information that the state board of accounts determines is important to include.
Sec. 7. (a) To assist each state agency in developing the state agency's management and efficiency plan, the governor, in cooperation with the budget agency, shall establish and adopt goals for achievement for each state agency.
(b) A statement of the goals under subsection (a) shall be provided to each state agency not later than October 1 of each year.
Sec. 8. Each state agency shall do the following:
(1) Issue a management and efficiency plan not later than March 1 of each year.
(2) Deliver one (1) copy of the state agency's management and efficiency plan to each of the following:
(A) The governor.
(B) The office.
(C) The legislative council, in electronic format under IC 5-14-6.
(D) The budget committee.
Sec. 9. The office shall annually conduct a performance review of each state agency to include an analysis of the effectiveness and efficiency of the policies, management, fiscal affairs, and operations of the state agency.
Sec. 10. In conducting a performance review under this chapter,
the office shall consider the degree to which the state agency
conforms to the state agency's management and efficiency plan.
Sec. 11. Not later than November 1 of each year, the office shall issue a report, which may include findings and recommendations, to the governor, the legislative council in electronic format under IC 5-14-6, and the budget committee.
Sec. 12. A state agency whose performance is reviewed under this chapter shall issue a report to the budget committee that includes the following:
(1) Accomplishments of the state agency.
(2) Measures taken by the state agency in response to a report issued by the office under section 11 of this chapter.
(3) An analysis of cost savings implemented by the state agency.
Sec. 13. The general assembly may consider the results of a state agency's performance review in determining the biennial budget for the state agency.
Sec. 14. The state board of accounts may adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to implement this chapter.