Citations Affected: Noncode.
Synopsis: School principal and superintendent licensing. Requires the
professional standards board and the department of education to review
licensing requirements for school principals and school corporation
Effective: July 1, 2004.
January 8, 2004, read first time and referred to Committee on Education and Career
January 15, 2004, reported favorably _ Do Pass.
A BILL FOR AN ACT concerning education.
SECTION 1. [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2004] (a) As used in this
(1) "board" refers to the professional standards board established by IC 20-1-1.4-2;
(2) "department" refers to the department of education established by IC 20-1-1.1-2; and
(3) "school administrator" refers to a school principal or school corporation superintendent.
(b) The board and the department shall review the licensing requirements for school administrators, including whether it is necessary for an individual to be licensed as a teacher before being licensed as a school administrator.
(c) In conducting the review required under subsection (b), the board and the department shall gather information from as many sources as is practicable, including the following:
(1) Licensing qualifications in other states.
(2) Research data, including research concerning the characteristics and qualifications of successful school
(3) Information submitted by interested parties, including information received in public hearings.
(d) Before December 1, 2005, the board and the department:
(1) shall compile the information gathered under subsection (c); and
(2) may make recommendations that are supported by findings of fact;
in a report submitted to the executive director of the legislative services agency in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6-4.
(e) This SECTION expires December 31, 2005.