tempore of the senate who:
(A) are professors at state supported universities; and
(B) have expertise in business, economics, or state and local taxation.
(4) An individual who holds a graduate degree in economics and is employed in the private sector and is appointed by the minority leader of the senate.
(5) An individual who holds a graduate degree in economics and is appointed by the governor.
A member serves at the pleasure of the appointing authority.
(e) The governor shall appoint the chairperson of the commission. The chairperson serves in that position at the pleasure of the governor.
(f) The commission shall undertake a comprehensive review and analysis of Indiana's state and local tax structure. The commission shall evaluate the tax system using the following criteria and shall address the following questions:
(1) Growth performance and elasticity: is our tax system designed to grow along with the Indiana economy?
(2) Reliability and volatility: are the revenues raised relatively stable over time, or are they excessively volatile and difficult to predict?
(3) Distributional effects and fairness: how are the taxes distributed among various types of taxpayers? Does the system treat similarly situated taxpayers similarly? Does the system account for taxpayers' different capacities to bear the burden of taxation?
(4) Transparency and administrative simplicity: are the taxes easy and economical to collect and administer? To what extent does the system result in taxpayers being accountable for paying their taxes and tax agencies being accountable for enforcing the laws?
(5) Federal interaction: to what extent are state and local taxes deductible for federal purposes?
(6) Economic climate: what effects do the taxes have on Indiana's business climate and overall economic activity? To what extent does the system promote economic growth?
(7) Provision of adequate revenues: does the tax system result in sufficient, stable, and certainty of revenues?
(g) The legislative services agency shall provide:
(1) the legislative drafting, clerical, fiscal research, and administrative personnel; and
(2) other assistance;
necessary to enable the commission to properly perform its duties.
(h) The expenses of the commission shall be paid from funds appropriated to the legislative council.