Citations Affected: IC 9-27.
Synopsis: Standards for driver training instructors. Requires an
individual to: (1) complete nine college semester hours in driver
education courses; and (2) be at least 21 years of age upon completion
of the driver education courses; to receive a commercial driver training
instructor's license. (Current law requires the individual to complete 12
semester hours in driver education courses, including three hours of
Effective: July 1, 2005.
January 13, 2005, read first time and referred to Committee on Roads and Transportation.
February 17, 2005, reported _ Do Pass.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
driving school, or the college providing the courses for the individual
to become an instructor. The remaining nine (9) hours of driver
education courses required under subsection (a) (a)(1) must include a
combination of theoretical and behind-the-wheel instruction that is
consistent with nationally accepted standards in traffic safety.
(c) The driver education semester hours required under subsection
(a) (a)(1) do not satisfy the requirements of subsection (d) or (e) unless
the driver education curriculum is approved by the commission for
(d) The bureau shall issue an instructor's license to an individual who satisfies all of the following:
(1) The individual meets the requirements of subsection (a).
(2) The individual does not have more than the maximum number of points for violating traffic laws specified by the bureau by rules adopted under IC 4-22-2.
(3) The individual has a good moral character, physical condition, knowledge of the rules of the road, and work history. The bureau shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 that specify the requirements, including requirements about criminal convictions, necessary to satisfy the conditions of this subdivision.
(e) The bureau shall issue an instructor's license to an individual who:
(1) during 1995, held an instructor's license;
(2) meets the requirements of subsection (d)(2) and (d)(3); and
(3) completes the twelve (12) semester hours of driver education courses required under subsection
(a) (a)(1) not later than July 1,
However, an individual who has acted as an instructor for at least two (2) years before January 1, 1996, is not required to complete the requirements of subdivision (3) in order to receive an instructor's license under this subsection.
(f) The bureau shall issue an instructor's license to an individual who:
(1) holds a driver and traffic safety education endorsement issued by the professional standards board established under IC 20-1-1.4; and
(2) meets the requirements of subsection (d)(2) and (d)(3).
(g) Only an individual who holds an instructor's license issued by the bureau under subsection (d), (e), or (f) may act as an instructor.