Citations Affected: IC 1-2; noncode.
Synopsis: State poet laureate. Establishes a process for selecting a
state poet laureate. Specifies the duties and compensation of the poet
laureate. Provides that the person honored as the poet laureate by the
house of representatives in 2002 is entitled to serve as the initial poet
Effective: July 1, 2005.
January 13, 2005, read first time and referred to Committee on Education and Career
February 3, 2005, amended, reported favorably _ Do Pass.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning the
selection committee. The faculty member must:
(1) be a member of the fine arts or English department of the institution; and
(2) teach writing.
(c) The executive director of the commission:
(1) is the chair of; and
(2) shall establish the meeting times and dates for;
the selection committee.
Sec. 5. The selection committee shall do the following:
(1) Meet on a biennial basis to select the poet laureate.
(2) Determine a method of selecting the poet laureate.
(3) Select a poet laureate not later than December 1 of each odd-numbered year.
(4) Permit a person to be selected as poet laureate even if the person has previously served as poet laureate.
Sec. 6. A person selected as poet laureate serves a two (2) year term that begins January 1 following the poet laureate's selection.
Sec. 7. (a) The poet laureate shall do the following:
(1) Make a formal appearance at schools, libraries, and other educational facilities.
(2) Offer advice to the commission concerning ways to further the art of poetry in Indiana.
(3) Represent Indiana and the art of poetry to the education community and the public.
(b) The department of education shall assist the poet laureate in scheduling the poet laureate's appearances in educational facilities and at other appropriate events.
Sec. 8. (a) The commission may pay an annual honorarium of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) to the poet laureate.
(b) The commission may pay a per diem to the poet laureate for each day that the poet laureate makes an appearance under this chapter.
(c) The commission may pay travel expenses to a member of the selection committee, unless the member's institution reimburses the member for the expenses.
Sec. 9. All expenses and other payments permitted under this chapter shall be paid from appropriations to or other funds of the commission.
December 31, 2005.
(b) This SECTION expires January 1, 2006.