Delete the title and insert the following:
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning education.
(b) An individual who wants to be elected to the governing body must file a petition of nomination with the circuit court clerk of the county not earlier than one hundred four (104) days and not later than noon seventy-four (74) days before the election at which the members are to be elected.
(c) A candidate's petition of nomination must include the following information:
(1) The name of the candidate.
(2) The signatures of at least one hundred (100) registered voters residing in the school corporation.
(3) A certification that the prospective candidate meets the qualifications for candidacy imposed by this chapter.
Sec. 5. Only eligible voters residing in the school corporation may vote for a candidate.
Sec. 6. (a) The number of candidates:
(1) to be elected at the election; and
(2) who receive the greatest number of votes in the school corporation;
are elected to the governing body.
Sec. 7. The state board, with assistance from the county election board, shall establish:
(1) balloting procedures under IC 3 for the election; and
(2) all other procedures required to implement this chapter.
Sec. 8. The term of each individual elected to serve on the governing body:
(1) is four (4) years; and
(2) begins the January 1 that next follows the individual's election.
Sec. 9. The governing body shall temporarily fill a vacancy on the governing body as soon as practicable after the vacancy occurs.
Sec. 10. Before August 1 of each year, the school corporation shall file with the state superintendent a list of the:
(1) names and addresses of members of the school corporation's governing body;
(2) names and addresses of the school corporation's officers; and
(3) expiration dates of the terms of the school corporation's members and officers.
The school corporation shall file any change in the list not later than thirty (30) days after the change occurs.".
(b) Notwithstanding any other law, the term of office of a member of the governing body of the school corporation serving on December 31, 2006, expires January 1, 2007.
(c) The successors of the members of the governing body shall be elected at the November 2006 general election under IC 20-23-17, as added by this act.
(d) Notwithstanding IC 20-23-17-8, as amended by this act, the term of office of each member of the governing body elected under this SECTION is as follows:
(1) The two (2) candidates who receive the highest number and the second highest number of votes respectively among all candidates in the election are elected for a four (4) year term, beginning January 1, 2007.
(2) The three (3) candidates who receive the third highest, fourth highest, and fifth highest number of votes respectively among all the candidates in the election are elected for a two (2) year term, beginning January 1, 2007.
The successors of the members of the governing body elected under subdivision (2) shall be elected at the November 2008 general election. The members of the governing body elected at the 2008 general election and thereafter serve a term of office of four (4) years.
(e) IC 3 and IC 20-23-17, as added by this act, apply to the elections required under this SECTION to the extent that those statutes are not inconsistent with this SECTION.
(f) This SECTION expires January 1, 2011.".
Renumber all SECTIONS consecutively.
(Reference is to ESB 112 as printed February 17, 2006.)