Introduced Version





HOUSE CONCURRENT
RESOLUTION No.
________




DIGEST OF INTRODUCED RESOLUTION



        A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION honoring Butler University on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of its founding.



Ruppel




    _______________________, read first time and referred to Committee on








Introduced

Second Regular Session of the 114th General Assembly (2006)


HOUSE CONCURRENT
RESOLUTION



        A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION honoring Butler University on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of its founding.

    Whereas, In 1855, two professors, some assistant teachers, and 20 students walked through the doors of Butler University and began what was to become years of academic excellence and innovation;

    Whereas, Because there were no high schools or adequate private academies, Butler University operated its own preparatory department until 1907, enrolling 60 students and another 54 in the preprep classes the first year;

    Whereas, Butler University was originally called North Western Christian University and was located at 18th Street and College Avenue;

    Whereas, From its creation, the school began establishing unheard of precedents, including admitting women on an equal basis with men, admitting students representing minorities, and allowing students, with parental consent, to choose subjects suited to their needs under a new "elective" system;

    Whereas, Butler University also appointed Catharine Merrill as Demia Butler professor, and she became the first female professor of English literature in Indiana in 1870, making Butler the first in the nation to establish an endowed chair specifically for a female professor and only the second university to appoint a woman to the faculty;



    Whereas, In 1875, the board of directors sold the downtown campus and moved the campus to Irvington;

    Whereas, In 1879 the school became known as Butler University in honor of Ovid Butler, a prominent Indianapolis attorney and abolitionist who wrote the university's charter in 1850;

    Whereas, Butler University continued to grow, adding the College of Education in 1930, the College of Business Administration in 1937, the College of Pharmacy in 1945, and the Jordan College of Music in 1951;

    Whereas, To keep up with the growing needs of the academic community, Butler began offering evening courses in 1899, established a summer session in 1905, and created a graduate division in 1932; and

    Whereas, Butler University will continue to grow on the solid foundation laid by its founders in 1855 and will continue to offer visionary ideas and innovative academic concepts to its students: Therefore,

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives

of the General Assembly of the State of Indiana,

the Senate concurring:


    SECTION 1. That the Indiana General Assembly congratulates Butler University on the 150th anniversary of its founding and recognizes its many contributions to the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana.
    SECTION 2. That the Principal Clerk of the House of Representatives transmit a copy of this resolution to Butler University president Dr. Bobby Fong.