HB 1457-1_ Filed 02/08/2007, 12:33
Your Committee on Public Health , to which was referred House Bill 1457 , has
had the same under consideration and begs leave to report the same back to the House with the
recommendation that said bill be amended as follows:
SOURCE: Page 1, line 2; (07)AM145702.1. -->
Page 1, after line 2, begin a new paragraph and insert:
SOURCE: ; (07)AM145702.2. -->
"SECTION 2. [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2007] (a) As used in this
SECTION, "commission" refers to the prenatal substance abuse
commission established by subsection (b).
(b) The prenatal substance abuse commission is established to
develop and recommend a coordinated plan to improve early
intervention and treatment for pregnant women who abuse alcohol
or drugs or use tobacco.
(c) The commission consists of the following members:
(1) The state health commissioner or the commissioner's
(2) The director of the division of mental health and addiction
or the director's designee.
(3) The director of the office of Medicaid policy and planning
or the director's designee.
(4) The director of the department of child services or the
(5) One (1) physician specializing in addiction treatment of
(6) One (1) physician specializing in the care of pregnant
(7) One (1) social worker certified in the treatment of alcohol,
tobacco, and other drug abuse.
(8) One (1) woman who has received treatment for alcohol,
tobacco, or other drug abuse during pregnancy.
(9) One (1) advocate recommended by the March of Dimes,
(10) One (1) prosecuting attorney or a deputy prosecuting
attorney who practices in a drug court established under
(11) One (1) judge of a drug court established under
(12) Two (2) members of the house of representatives. The
members appointed under this subdivision may not be
members of the same political party.
(13) Two (2) members of the senate. The members appointed
under this subdivision may not be members of the same
The speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint the
members under subdivisions (5), (7), (9), (10), and (12) not later
than August 15, 2007. The president pro tempore of the senate
shall appoint the members under subdivisions (6), (8), (11), and
(13) not later than August 15, 2007. Vacancies shall be filled by the
appointing authority for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(d) A majority of the members of the commission constitutes a
(e) The state department of health shall provide staff and
administrative support for the commission.
(f) The state health commissioner or the commissioner's
designee shall convene the first meeting of the commission before
October 15, 2007. The commission shall elect a member of the
commission to serve as chairperson of the commission. The
commission shall meet at the call of the chairperson and shall meet
as often as necessary to carry out the purpose of this SECTION.
However, the commission shall meet not less than quarterly.
(g) Members of the commission are not entitled to a salary per
diem or reimbursement of expenses for service on the commission.
(h) The affirmative votes of a majority of the commission's
members are required for the commission to take action on any
(i) The commission shall submit reports to the governor and the
legislative council as follows:
(1) Not later than August 15, 2008, an interim report that
contains any interim findings and recommendations of the
(2) Not later than August 15, 2009, a final report that contains
the findings and recommendations of the commission and an
implementation plan to improve early intervention and
treatment for pregnant women who abuse alcohol or drugs or
The reports required under this subsection must be submitted in
an electronic format under IC 5-14-6.
(j) This SECTION expires December 31, 2009.".
Renumber all SECTIONS consecutively.
(Reference is to HB 1457 as introduced.)
and when so amended that said bill do pass.
AM145702/DI 77 2007