Citations Affected: IC 22-13-6.
Synopsis: Fire partitions. Requires newly constructed and remodeled
dormitories and senior housing projects to contain fire partitions.
Effective: Upon passage.
January 8, 2007, read first time and referred to Committee on Veterans Affairs and Public
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning labor
as residences for overnight sleeping for individuals or groups. The
term includes a residence or multiple dwelling that is:
(1) used by a fraternity or sorority recognized by a university; or
(2) owned by a university.
(b) The term does not include a residence or multiple dwelling that is not recognized by or owned by a university.
Sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "senior housing project" means a building or part of a building that:
(1) is used for lodging or boarding of at least four (4) senior residents who are not related by blood or marriage to the owners or operators of the project, for the purpose of providing personal care services; and
(2) has at least three (3) dwelling units.
Sec. 5. As used in this chapter, "senior resident" means an individual who is at least sixty-two (62) years of age.
Sec. 6. As used in this chapter, "university" means the following:
(1) A state educational institution (as defined in IC 20-12-0.5-1).
(2) A private college or university.
Sec. 7. Except as provided in section 8 of this chapter, a dormitory or a senior housing project must be constructed:
(1) of noncombustible fire resistive construction as set forth in the building law; and
(2) with fire partitions located:
(A) between each individual living unit to form each individual living unit as a fire compartment; and
(B) in all:
(i) exit corridors;
(ii) enclosed exit stairways;
(iii) occupancy separations as set forth in the building law;
(iv) exterior load bearing walls; and
(v) interior load bearing walls.
Sec. 8. Except as provided in section 9(4) of this chapter, a dormitory or senior housing project that:
(1) contains in the common areas and the areas used for sleeping an automatic sprinkler system in compliance with the building law; and
(2) complies with section 7(2) of this chapter;
is not required to be of noncombustible fire resistive construction
but may be of any construction type allowed by the building law.
Sec. 9. The rules adopted by the commission under this chapter must provide the following:
(1) An opening in a fire partition in a dormitory or senior housing project must be protected with at least a ninety (90) minute fire protection rating.
(2) A fire partition in a dormitory or senior housing project must have a sound transmission coefficient of at least fifty (50).
(3) A dormitory or senior housing project that:
(A) has an automatic sprinkler system; and
(B) complies with section 7 of this chapter;
may be of unlimited area. If the dormitory or senior housing project is remodeled, the dormitory or project may increase in building height by twenty-five percent (25%).
(4) A floor assembly in a new dormitory or a new senior housing project must:
(A) have at least a two (2) hour fire resistance rating; and
(B) be of noncombustible fire resistive construction.
Sec. 10. If a dormitory is not owned by the university with which it is associated but is recognized by the university, the owner of the dormitory is responsible for complying with the requirements of this chapter.
Sec. 11. The owner of a dormitory proposed for construction must obtain a design release for the dormitory under IC 22-15-3 from the office of the state building commissioner before constructing the dormitory.
Sec. 12. The commission shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 necessary to implement this chapter.