Your Committee on Judiciary , to which was referred Senate Bill 225 , has had the same under consideration and begs leave to report the same back to the House with the recommendation that said bill be amended as follows:
landlord shall by mail or personal delivery provide each tenant
with a written notice that:
(1) states that the real property is the subject of a foreclosure action; and
(2) sets forth the rights of tenants under this section.
(e) If a landlord:
(1) fails to provide the notice described in subsection (d); and
(2) fails to fulfill any of the duties set forth in IC 32-31-8-5(1), IC 32-31-8-5(2), and IC 32-31-8-5(4);
the tenant has the right to terminate the rental agreement upon written notice delivered to the landlord or owner. Termination of a rental agreement under this subsection is effective on a date established by the tenant, but not earlier than ten (10) days after the tenant receives the written notice described in subsection (d).".
Page 3, delete lines 39 through 42.
Page 4, delete lines 1 through 12.
Page 4, line 13, delete "(e)" and insert " (f)".
Page 4, line 19, delete "(f)" and insert " (g)".
Page 4, line 20, delete "(e)," and insert " (f),".
Page 4, line 25, delete "(g)" and insert " (h) A tenant who terminates a rental agreement under this section is entitled to the return of the tenant's security deposit unless the security deposit is used for the purposes set forth in IC 32-31-3-13.
Page 4, line 33, delete "(h)" and insert " (j)".
Page 4, after line 34, begin a new paragraph and insert:
evicted from the tenant's rental unit unless:
(1) the landlord or owner sends the tenant a notice of eviction at least thirty (30) days before the date of eviction; or
(2) the rental agreement has expired.
(d) In seeking an order from a court to evict a tenant of a property described in subsection (a), a landlord or owner must provide a copy of the notice described in subsection (c).".
Renumber all SECTIONS consecutively.
(Reference is to SB 225 as printed January 23, 2009.)
and when so amended that said bill do pass.