RESOLUTION No. ___
Introduced by: Bartlett
A RESOLUTION urging the legislative council to
establish an interim study committee to study planning and
Whereas, It behooves the state of Indiana to study the
following planning and zoning issues in order to improve the
efficiency and accuracy of the current system: Therefore,
Be it resolved by the House of Representatives of the
General Assembly of the State of Indiana:
SECTION 1. That the legislative council is urged to establish an
interim study committee to study the following planning and zoning
(1) Eliminating the review of zoning issues by certiorari and
establishing a judicial review procedure.
(2) Procedures for vacation of a plat, including any recorded
(3) Allowing plan commissions to grant waivers from the
subdivision control ordinance.
(4) Proposed changes to the law regarding the following:
(A) Qualifications of citizen members of plan commissions
and boards of zoning appeals.
(B) Appointment of alternate members to all plan
commissions (instead of only area plan commissions).
(C) Disqualification of plan commission and board of
zoning appeals members due to financial interest or bias.
(D) Publication of zoning ordinances.
(E) Commitments and conditions.
(5) Maintaining current law allowing a plan commission to
delegate authority to its employees to perform ministerial acts in
all cases except where final action of the commission or board
of zoning appeals is required by law.
(6) Maintaining references in current law to hearing examiners.
(7) Allowing a plat committee to act on behalf of the plan
commission on subdivision applications.
(8) Allowing a plan commission to limit further considerations
of a plat or vacation request for not more than one year after the
disapproval of a request.
(9) Specifying that board of zoning appeals divisions may use
alternate members from other divisions.
(10) Providing that plat committee decisions must first be
appealed to the plan commission, with plan commission
decisions then appealed to the courts.
SECTION 2. That the committee shall operate under the direction
of the legislative council and shall issue a final report when directed to
do so by the council.