Citations Affected: IC 12-24-1-3.5.
Synopsis: Council on Evansville state hospitals. Establishes the
council for Evansville state hospitals. (The introduced version of this
bill was prepared by the commission on mental health.)
Effective: July 1, 2011.
January 5, 2011, read first time and referred to Committee on Health and Provider
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
members appointed under this subdivision:
(A) may not be members of the same political party; and
(B) must represent Evansville or a surrounding area.
(5) Two (2) mental health providers that provide mental health services in the Evansville area.
(6) One (1) member who:
(A) resides in the Evansville area; and
(B) provides services in the community, including:
(i) law enforcement services; or
(ii) children's services.
(7) The superintendent of the Evansville State Psychiatric Treatment Center for Children, or the superintendent's designee.
(8) The superintendent of the Evansville State Hospital, or the superintendent's designee.
(9) One (1) representative of a statewide mental health association.
(10) One (1) parent of a child who has received services at the Evansville State Psychiatric Treatment Center for Children and who is not associated with the Evansville State Psychiatric Treatment Center for Children or the Evansville State Hospital except as a consumer.
(c) The president pro tempore of the senate shall appoint the members under subsection (b)(1) and (b)(9) and one (1) member under subsection (b)(5). The speaker of the house of representatives shall appoint the members under subsection (b)(6) and (b)(10) and one (1) member under subsection (b)(5).
(d) The council has the following duties:
(1) Review the following:
(A) The mental health and addiction services available to children in the Evansville area.
(B) The quality of the care provided to patients in a facility described in section 3(a)(1) and 3(a)(2) of this chapter.
(C) The utilization of the facilities and the cause for any underutilization.
(2) Determine the viability and need for the facilities described in section 3(a)(1) and 3(a)(2) of this chapter.
(3) Provide recommendations to:
(A) the office of the secretary; and
(B) the general assembly, in electronic format under IC 5-14-6;
concerning the council's findings under this subsection,
including whether the council is making a recommendation
under section 3 of this chapter.
(e) The division of mental health and addiction shall staff the council.
(f) The expenses of the council shall be paid by the division of mental health and addiction.
(g) A member of the council is not entitled to salary per diem or traveling expenses.
(h) The members described in subsection (b)(7) and (b)(8) shall serve as nonvoting members. The affirmative votes of a majority of the voting members of the council are required for the council to take action on any recommendation.
(i) This section expires December 31, 2013.