Citations Affected: IC 24-5-0.5-10; IC 25-15-8-1.
Synopsis: Country of origin of caskets. Provides that a supplier of a
casket or a person who sells or prepares for sale a casket and who
removes, covers, alters, or makes unreadable a country of origin
marking on the casket commits a deceptive act. Provides that removing,
covering, altering, or making unreadable a country of origin marking
on a casket may be grounds for discipline for a licensed funeral home
director, funeral home, or embalmer.
Effective: July 1, 2011.
January 13, 2011, read first time and referred to Committee on Commerce & Economic
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning trade
a burial association, burial certificate plan, or burial membership
(2) after an individual has died, personally or through an agent solicits, makes, or offers to make a direct or an indirect payment of a commission for the purpose of securing the individual's human remains;
(3) fails to promptly surrender possession of human remains after receiving a demand from the person legally entitled to custody of the human remains;
(4) transports or disposes of human remains without a permit required by law;
(5) takes possession of human remains without authorization from the person legally entitled to custody of the human remains;
(6) makes a misleading claim concerning the protective qualities of a casket, an alternative container, or an outer burial container;
(7) shows a casket, an alternative container, or an outer burial container to a consumer if the casket, alternative container, or outer burial container does not have a conspicuously displayed card or brochure that lists the price of the casket, alternative container, or outer burial container and briefly describes the casket, alternative container, or outer burial container; or
(8) commits a deceptive act under IC 24-5-0.5-13;
may be disciplined under IC 25-1-11.