Citations Affected: IC 8-23.
Synopsis: Complete streets guidelines. Requires the Indiana
department of transportation (INDOT) to do the following: (1) Adopt
guidelines for INDOT projects regarding street design that enables
safe, comfortable, and convenient access for all users (complete streets
guidelines). (2) Include a requirement to comply with complete streets
guidelines in INDOT contracts entered into after December 31, 2012.
(3) Include complete streets guidelines in INDOT's approved design
manual (manual). (4) Report to the general assembly on INDOT's
progress in incorporating complete streets guidelines into INDOT's
manual and projects.
Effective: July 1, 2012.
January 9, 2012, read first time and referred to Committee on Roads and Transportation.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
a state highway or other roadway that is under the jurisdiction of
(c) The department shall include in a contract, including any specifications or other documents that are a part of or incorporated into a contract, a requirement that the project be completed in accordance with the department's complete streets guidelines adopted under subsection (d). However, the department may exclude a project or part of a project from the requirement if:
(1) pedestrian or other nonmotorized usage is prohibited by law on the highway, street, or other roadway that is the subject of the project or part of a project;
(2) the cost of incorporating complete streets guidelines for the project or part of the project is excessively disproportionate to the benefits, as determined by the department; or
(3) there is a demonstrated lack of present or future need for complete streets for the project or part of the project.
(d) The department shall adopt guidelines to incorporate complete streets into the planning, design, construction, reconstruction, or improvement of a state highway or other roadway that is under the jurisdiction of the department. Guidelines adopted under this subsection must take into consideration the following:
(1) The ages and abilities of all potential users of roadways.
(2) The modes of transportation used on roadways.
(3) Safety, accessibility, and livability.
(e) Not later than November 1, 2013, the department shall report in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6 to the general assembly the progress made by the department in implementing this section and incorporating complete streets guidelines into the approved design manual of the department under IC 8-23-5-10. This subsection expires December 31, 2013.
(f) Beginning November 1, 2014, and not later than November 1 of each successive year, the department shall report in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6 to the general assembly on the number, type, and status of complete streets projects undertaken by the department. This subsection expires December 31, 2018.