Citations Affected: IC 2-5-36.
Synopsis: Affordable care study committee. Establishes the Indiana
affordable care study committee to study and make recommendations
to the legislative council concerning establishment and implementation
of a health benefit exchange in Indiana and defining "essential health
benefits" for use in Indiana. Requires the department of insurance to
annually report to the study committee concerning the status and
operation of the health benefit exchange established by the department
Effective: Upon passage.
January 22, 2013, read first time and referred to Committee on Insurance.
A BILL FOR AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning
concerning the following:
(1) The establishment and implementation of an exchange in Indiana.
(2) The definition of "essential health benefits" for use in Indiana under the affordable care act, including ensuring that the definition results in adequate benefits.
(c) The committee shall receive and consider annual reports from the department of insurance concerning the status and operation of the exchange established by the department of insurance.
(d) The committee shall, not later than November 1 of each year, report the committee's findings and recommendations concerning the committee's study under subsection (b) to the legislative council in an electronic format under IC 5-14-6.
Sec. 5. The committee shall operate under the policies governing study committees adopted by the legislative council.
Sec. 6. (a) The committee consists of the following voting members:
(1) Four (4) members of the senate, not more than two (2) of whom may be members of the same political party, appointed by the president pro tempore.
(2) Four (4) members of the house of representatives, not more than two (2) of whom may be members of the same political party, appointed by the speaker.
(3) The secretary of family and social services or the secretary's designee.
(4) The commissioner of the state department of health or the commissioner's designee.
(5) The commissioner of insurance or the commissioner's designee.
(6) One (1) member representing the insurance industry.
(7) One (1) member representing hospitals.
(8) One (1) member representing physicians.
(b) The president pro tempore shall appoint a chairperson of the committee during each even-numbered year. The speaker shall appoint a chairperson of the committee during each odd-numbered year.
Sec. 7. The affirmative votes of a majority of the voting members appointed to the committee are required for the committee to take action on any measure, including final reports.
Sec. 8. This chapter expires July 1, 2016.
of insurance shall, not later than July 1 of each year, report to the
Indiana affordable care study committee established by IC 2-5-36,
as added by this act, concerning the status and operation of the
exchange (as defined in IC 2-5-36-3, as added by this act).
(b) This SECTION expires July 1, 2016.