Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:
(3) Prescribe distinctive uniforms.
(4) Provide emergency vehicles.
Sec. 4. (a) The governing board of a hospital shall require an individual appointed as a hospital police officer under this chapter to meet at least the following requirements:
(1) The individual must successfully complete, within one (1) year after the individual is appointed as a hospital police officer, the minimum basic training and educational requirements as approved by the governing board of the hospital and the law enforcement training board.
(2) The individual must undergo a psychological evaluation.
(3) The individual must undergo a national criminal history background check.
(b) The governing board of the hospital shall require an individual appointed as a hospital police officer to annually attend inservice training courses approved by the governing board of the hospital.
Sec. 5. A hospital police officer appointed under this chapter:
(1) must take an appropriate oath of office in a form and manner prescribed by the governing board of a hospital;
(2) serves at the governing board's pleasure; and
(3) performs the duties that the governing board assigns.
Sec. 6. (a) A hospital police officer appointed under this chapter has the following powers:
(1) General police powers, including the power to arrest, without process, all persons who commit any offense within the view of the police officer.
(2) The same common law and statutory powers, privileges, and immunities as sheriffs and constables. However, the police officer is empowered to serve civil process only to the extent authorized by the governing board of a hospital.
(3) The duty to enforce and to assist the officials of the hospital in the enforcement of the rules and regulations of the hospital.
(4) The duty to assist and cooperate with other law enforcement agencies and law enforcement officers.
(b) The governing board of a hospital employing a hospital police officer may expressly forbid the police officer from exercising any powers otherwise granted to the police officer by
Sec. 7. A hospital police officer appointed under this chapter may exercise the powers granted under this chapter only upon any property owned, leased, or occupied by the hospital.