Citations Affected: P.L.65-2000, SECTION 1.
Synopsis: Lake management work group. Extends the lake
management work group until July 1, 2004.
Effective: June 30, 2002.
January 7, 2002, read first time and referred to Committee on Rules and Legislative
A BILL FOR AN ACT concerning natural and cultural resources.
SECTION 1. P.L.65-2000, SECTION 1, IS AMENDED TO READ
AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JUNE 30, 2002]: SECTION 1. (a) The
lake management work group is established. The activities of the work
group established by this SECTION shall be directed to problems and
issues associated with lakes that meet the definition of a public
freshwater lake set forth in
(b) The work group consists of twenty-six (26) members appointed as follows:
(1) Four (4) members of the general assembly, consisting of:
(A) two (2) members of the house of representatives who may not be members of the same political party, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives; and
(B) two (2) members of the senate who may not be members of the same political party, appointed by the president pro tempore of the senate.
(2) Three (3) representatives of the department of natural resources, at least one (1) of whom must be an officer in the division of law enforcement.
meet not less than two (2) times each year.
(e) To fill the positions created by subsection (b)(7), the governor shall appoint at least one (1) resident
of to represent each of the ten
(10) congressional districts district in Indiana. Each individual who
was appointed by the governor as and is a member of the work group
on December 31, 1999, under P.L.239-1997 (before its expiration) is
appointed to serve on June 30, 2002, remains a member of the work
group until the governor appoints a successor.
(f) Each legislative member of the work group is entitled to receive the same per diem, mileage, and travel allowances paid to individuals who serve as legislative members of interim study committees established by the legislative council.
(g) Each lay member of the work group who is not a state employee is entitled to receive the same per diem, mileage, and travel allowances paid to individuals who serve as lay members of interim study committees established by the legislative council.
(h) The legislative council shall establish a budget for the work group to pay for per diem, mileage, and travel allowances.
(i) The work group is under the direction of the department of natural resources. The department may contract with a facilitator to facilitate the work of the work group. The department of natural resources shall staff the work group.
(j) The work group shall do the following:
(1) Monitor, review, and coordinate the implementation of the work group's recommendations issued under P.L.239-1997 and P.L.65-2000.
(2) Facilitate collaborative efforts among commonly affected state, county, and local governmental entities in cooperation with lake residents and related organizations.
(3) Conduct public meetings to hear testimony and receive written comments concerning the implementation of the work group's recommendations.
(4) Develop proposed solutions to problems concerning the implementation of the work group's recommendations.
(5) Issue reports to the natural resources study committee when directed to do so.
(6) Review all funding that is currently being utilized for Indiana's waterways, including potential sources that could be used as a resource for the Indiana General Assembly to correct funding problems.
(A) an interim report before July 1,
2001; 2003; and