I move that Engrossed Senate Bill 401 be amended to read as follows:
Page 1, between lines 10 and 11, begin a new paragraph and
"SECTION 2. IC 2-3-1-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS: Sec. 2. (a) The general assembly hereby declares that the annual salary provided for in section 1 of this chapter is solely for the purpose of compensating the members of the general assembly for legislative services rendered during the year for which the salary is paid.
(b) The legislative services referred to in subsection (a) include, but are not limited to, the following:
(1) Participating in sessions of the senate or the house of representatives;
(2) Participating in meetings of standing committees of the senate or the house of representatives, regardless of when the meetings are held;
(3) Participating in meetings of legislative study committees or commissions, regardless of when the meetings are held;
(4) Attending conferences for state legislators conducted by the National Conference of State Legislatures, the Council of State Governments, or similar organizations;
(5) Working with constituents, state agencies, and others to help resolve problems of constituents; and
(6) Working with legislative staff on research and bill drafting requests.
(7) Educating themselves on relevant issues and challenges
facing Indiana and the districts they represent.
In performing these and other legislative services, a member of the general assembly is normally required to work more than one thousand
six two hundred ( 600) (1,200) hours per year.
(c) This section, as amended in 1981 by the one hundred second
general assembly at its first regular session, applies to salary
payments made after December 31, 1975, under section 1 of this
Renumber all SECTIONS consecutively.
(Reference is to ESB 401 as printed April 6, 2007.)